Skip to main content

Good Vietnamese food in Singapore

Mrs Pho from Burpple

My mum is visiting us at the moment so I have been relishing in all the Vietnamese home cooking - she is so sweet and the first thing she did when she arrived was go to the supermarket and buy ingredients for dinner!

I love it when she visits as I can really get my Vietnamese food fix.   People often ask me where we go and find good Vietnamese food in Singapore.  I have to admit it isn't great but I can recommend a couple of places that are better than most compared to the other pretty average offerings around town.

Mrs Pho

Opened up by friends of friends, this tiny little restaurant on Beach Road serves up a decent Pho and the best pork chop rice I have had so far in Singapore (most have been pretty abysmal).  The Pho's broth is full of flavour (so many places here have watery or bland soup for their Pho) and they use fresh noodles not the dry stuff out of the packet.   My only complaint is they don't give you enough fresh basil with your noodles but that is a common issue in Vietnamese restaurants here!   The Mr didn't rate the pork and spring roll vermicelli so I say stick to Pho or the rice when you visit.  Cute decor and a great vibe.

Nam Nam Noodle Bar

Opened up by the Les Amis group, several of these stores have popped up in various shopping centres around town after their initial opening in Raffles City. They serve up some yummy Banh Mi and decent Pho.  There is generally always a line (regardless of time of day) so that's a good sign.

Long Phung

A couple of Vietnamese places are located on Joo Chiat Road on the East.  We have been to Long Phung before and it was pretty good and filled with lots of other Vietnamese people.   Offering up more than just Pho, this would be a good place to visit as a group to enjoy a good mix of dishes.   It can get pretty crowded so there may be a bit of a wait.

Baguette

My go to place for some comfort food when I am at work.  Not the greatest but not the worst, it serves up some pretty tasty banh mi and noodles if I need a Viet food fix at lunch time.  I was pretty happy when they opened up an outlet below my office at Marina Bay recently.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carla Zampatti turns 50

This year marks 50 years of the iconic Carla Zampatti fashion label.   After being denied a pay rise from her  £13 a week job designing blouses for a wholesale fashion house in 1964, she launched her own label a year later and the rest is fashion history.  The fashion house  celebrated yesterday with the 2015 Spring/Summer showcase in Sydney at the Opera House.   A beautiful, elegant and gorgeous collection.   Well played Ms Zampatti. 

West Elm Market, Brooklyn

I want one of these to open up here in Singapore where there is a serious lack of cool homewares stores! This looks like my kind of shop. The West Elm Market focuses on selling goods from 4 key product areas - kitchen, garden, care & repair and personal care.   Products are available online here images via West Elm  

Music memories

I have the office to myself this afternoon so I can ditch the headphones and am turning up the music. I used to be really up to date with music, read music blogs and keep up with new songs, artists, go to gigs.. but this has sort of faded out in the last few years. These days I seem to rely a lot on Spotify and their playlists and recommendations which is great for busy people! But this afternoon I am feeling a bit nostalgic so reminiscing and playing some songs played at our wedding back in 2010 which is bringing back some beautiful memories.   Walking down the aisle:  First dance: